Best at Home Laser Hair Removal
Best at home laser hair removal, in any case, is not recommended. The characteristics of this equipment mean that their use is exclusive to specialized centres and by trained personnel.
What is laser hair removal?
- The teamwork is an acronym for Light Amplified by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.
- Hence, laser hair removal is a type of photo epilation through which treated hair is permanently removed
How does laser hair removal work?
Laser hair removal is based on applying a light that reacts with the melanin of the body hair so that it is transformed into heat. What is melanin?
- Well, it is nothing more than the substance responsible for hair color.
- The higher the melanin concentration, the darker its pigmentation will be and the better it will react to treatment.
- Once this light has been applied and responded, it travels through the hair until it reaches the root, dies due to the heat.
- In this way, it will not produce more hair, having been permanently removed.
Why are several sessions necessary?
Surely you have wondered if the operation of laser hair removal is that simple.
Why is not all the hair removed the first time? The answer to this question is related to the phases of hair growth.
And yes, all body hair, like hair, is in constant renewal, going through different stages in the form of cycles.
Hair growth phases:
- It is the active phase of the hair, in which it is attached to the root and constantly growing. It lasts an approximate period between 2 and 8 years, being the longest of the entire cycle.
- At the time of the laser hair removal session, the follicles in this phase
will be destroyed by heat.
- During this period, the hair is visible from the outside and is bound to the matrix. Therefore, light can travel through it and reach the bottom producing the desired effect.
- It is a transition phase, where the hair remains sticking out, but it is separated from the root, and its growth stops. It lasts between 2 and 3 weeks.
- When the treatment is applied, the laser light will react with the hair in this phase.
- However, since it is separated from the womb, the heat will not go all the way, and the follicle will not be destroyed.
- During this phase, hair loss occurs. It consists of a rest period that lasts for approximately 3 months.
- As there is no hair, laser hair removal will not be effective on the roots in this period at the treatment time.
- With all of the above, it can easily be concluded that the only phase in which the treatment is effective is in the anagen phase.
- Therefore, it will be necessary to carry out the essential sessions until all the hair to be treated is in this phase at the time of it.
- Regardless, the number of sessions will also depend on the individual reaction of each person.
- Of course, the correct choice of the type of laser and the experience and skill of the professional who applies it.
Why shouldn’t laser hair removal be done at home?
- In laser hair removal, equipment is used to generate a specific type of electromagnetic radiation.
- Which, as I have already mentioned on other occasions, is exclusively used in specialized centres.
- Laser light has certain differences from intense pulsed light, which can be used safely at home.
- The first characteristic that makes it not feasible to use it at home is that each laser hair removal equipment emits only one light type.
- It means that it is only effective for the specific treatment of a certain skin and hair phototype. Being the specialist, the person trained to select the type of light to apply in each case.
- Laser light concentrates radiation in such a way that it has great energy and intensity. It means that the risk of burns is high if it is not used correctly.
- There is also a risk of the appearance of spots, redness, even bleeding due to damage to the blood vessels’ walls.
- Similarly, such light can be harmful to eye health. Therefore, it must be used with approved protection.