Put Another Color On Your Brown Hair Without Bleaching
Table of Contents
How To Color Your Brown Hair Without Using Bleach
Having brown hair or dark brown hair is a bold color in itself. But sometimes, you want a quick change to spice things up. One solution is to shift your current brown locks to another hair color!
If you’ve decided on a hair color update, there’s a safer hair color option. Also, you can use a daily conditioner like oVertone orange for brown hair to boost and maintain the color of your hair.
Read on to learn more about dyeing dark hair minus the bleach.
Dyeing Brown Hair Without Bleach
Here’s what you need to know about the bleachless coloring of your hair’s rich brown color:
1. Opt for either demi-permanent or semi-permanent hair dye.
Demi-permanent and semi-permanent hair dyes are both great options for adding a touch of color or vibrancy to your hair without the commitment of permanent dye. However, there are some key differences between the two:
|Lightens & deposits color
|Deposits color only
|Subtle color, grays, natural enhancement
|Bold color, experimentation
The best choice for you will depend on your individual hair goals and preferences.
2. Prepare a toning shampoo.
Toning shampoos lessen the brassiness of your hair that may happen over time.
3. Get your tools ready.
When coloring your hair, you’ll need a shower cap, ear covers, an old shirt or cape, a brush, and a mixing bowl.
Put on the old shirt to avoid stains on your shoulders. If you don’t have it, a cape would do. Put the ear covers on both ears as well. Mix the hair dyes in the mixing bowl until the colors fully combine.
Note: Follow all instructions indicated in the box of hair color products when mixing the colors.
4. Section your hair.
Part your dry hair in the middle if you want an even distribution of color on both sides. You can also gather your hair’s top part and tie it in a loose bun. This helps you color the bottom layer first.
5. Apply the dye.
Get ample hair color from the bowl and brush it on your hair. Do it in steady strokes from the roots to the ends. Make sure you color all the parts of your head that you want to color. Use all the hair color you mixed in your bowl to give it better results.
6. Let it sink in.
Put a shower cap on your hair after coloring it. Wait for 10-15 minutes for the color to go deep into the roots of your hair.
While waiting, take the chance to watch videos online or finish a part of an episode of your favorite TV show. You can also kill time by reading a book or listening to some mood-boosting music.
7. Wash and style your hair.
After letting the color sit on your hair, go to the bathroom and wash it thoroughly. Wash until water runs clear and no hair dye is left. Use a color-safe conditioner to keep the color in your hair. Most importantly, don’t use any kind of shampoo up to the first 48 hours.
Pat your hair dry with a towel. Do not blow dry your hair. When it’s fully dry, style it however you like and show it off to the world!
Hair Coloring Reminders
Trying on a new hair color is an exciting journey. However, you need to take note of some reminders before coloring your natural hair color:
- Do a simple patch test to make sure you’re not allergic to any hair dye. Once you’re allergic to any color, don’t even consider dyeing your hair. It will only put your hair in danger.
- Choose a dark hair color. While there’s no rule that you can’t dye your hair a lighter color than your current brown one, opting for a darker color is easier for you. At the very least, you don’t need to worry about lightening your hair too much.
- Use hair masks to nourish your newly colored hair. They hydrate, moisturize, reduce hair breakage, and protect your scalp, too. Apply a hair mask on your hair once or twice a week, depending on what’s indicated in the instructions.
- Consult a hair stylist. If you do not know where to start with coloring your hair, a professional hair stylist can help. They can give you valuable hair coloring tips and tricks to ensure great results.
It’s surprising to learn that you can always choose to color your brown hair and avoid the risks bleach can bring. When applying a new color to your brown hair, choose one that you feel would look best on you. Make a statement with your beautiful locks.